Friday, February 15, 2008

becoming jane

what a great little movie. i'm still tempted to read the book but i loved the characters/actors in the recently released flick. you can absolutely see mr darcy and elizabeth, mr wickham, mrs bennet, almost everyone from 'pride and prejudice' in austen's life experiences. the ending i'm sure was fictional {perhaps not?} but i loved that little flicker of hope they gave you right before saying goodbye. stellar. am i the only one that finds the beauty in tragedy?

well, now that i've watched this flick, i've added 'persuasion' and 'mansfield park' to my netflix cue and i'm finally going to read p&p sometime this weekend {it's been sitting in my bookshelf for a while now}. after that i'll more than likely try reading through her other novels and maybe even focus more on 'darcy & elizabeth: days and nights at pemberly', of course, not written by austen but a juicy and romantic continuation of p&p's characters and story lines. i highly recommend it if, like me, the end of p&p left you longing for more darcy.

i'm officially obsessed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'll have to watch that-Jane Austin is my favorite author. Danny bought the new P&P for me for Christmas-in fact, that's what I was watching during early labor!

Wannabe said...

You know that PBS is running the entire Jane Austen series right now on Masterpiece right? Sunday nights. I've TiVo'ed them all. SO far they did Mansfield Park, Persuasion, Northhanger Abby and one on Jane's life. Last week was part one of the BBC version of P & P.
I've been obsessed with all things Austen for YEARS.

Melissa said...

I was in England when the "new" P&P came out, and they showed a different ending to what got aired here (shocking, I know!). I loved it, and was subsequently motivated to read the book...got to page 17 before I decided I was too dumb to read on! :o) Then, about a year later I picked it up again, and read all the way through, and was SO incredibly impressed with it! I loved the book way more than the new movie (never saw the BBC version). I hope you like the book tons, too! (and get beyond p. 17!) :o)

Sizzledowski said...

I have that movie in my queue. :) Can't wait to see it!

Anonymous said...

i've only got two words:
colin
firth
yum
oops that was three words...

sense and sensability is my second favorite book... read that one too!

Becky said...

I thought that movie was really great-- especially loved that they showed how, even though she ended up single, she ended up being just fine. You NEVER see that in Hollywood, and it was so refreshing.
I'm actually in the middle of re-reading P&P myself. Another book you might want to check out (a trilogy, actually) is the Fitzwilliam Darcy: Gentleman series by Pamela Aiden. The second book is a little odd, but it's basically P&P from Darcy's perspective. Don't see Elizabeth much until the last book, other than her initial appearance in the first, but it's kind of fun to see what effect she had on him from his own perspective. And his butler and dog crack me up.

Unknown said...

it was true. i totally gasped/cried when tom's daughter's name was said.

Sizzledowski said...

I finally watched it last night. I loved it. :) It makes me want to read her books now. Or maybe I'll just rent the movies again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...