Monday, July 30, 2012

Learning to crawl

There's a side benefit to having a beautiful finished sunroom with light and bright walls and floors: great light.

My bebe's learning to crawl, well, frustratingly trying with all her might but we're just not there yet... 

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Baby Bryce

A few sneak peek shots from my first newborn shoot for mama's viewing pleasure:

Friday, July 27, 2012

Hanging around: a tutorial

Here are the supplies you'll need to make one of these stellar hanging photo boards.

Printed image on plain paper
acrylic paint
rope, jute, twine {whatever your preference}
paint brush
drill bit {I used 3/8"}
power drill
mod podge {not pictured here}
wood cutout {I purchased mine at ACMoore for a couple of dollars}

Step 1: Mark and drill the corner holes in your wood. Make sure not to get too close to the edge to avoid splitting and damaging your board. Once done, sand and clean up the holes. Don't worry too much about perfection here, they'll be covered by the rope knots.

Step 2: Pick your paint color and cover the board, edges too. I mixed a sky blue with a little black for a grey blue color.

Step 3: Once the paint is completely dry, take your sandpaper to the edges for a more distressed look. You can skip this step, but I like how it brings more dimension to the board.

Step 4: Apply a thin layer of mod podge on your board. Place your trimmed photo onto the board and smooth out to remove any bubbles. Once it's dry, apply a thin layer on the top of the photo for protection. It also gives the colors a deeper rich look.

Step 5: Tie a knot in one end of your rope. Feed through one hole and into the other. Now tie a knot in the other side and trim off any excess.

Step 6: Hang that custom sucker and impress all your crafty friends.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

the last straw

This is her new favorite thing, chewing on straws.

And making grumpy old man faces while doing it.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

floor poofs, or puffs I suppose

I made these fabulous little floor cushions for my porch design, because well, I'm cheap. I couldn't see spending all that money on something that I could so clearly make. So heed my warning, next time you think that craziness in your head, just pony up the money and go home happy.

As lovely as they are and as happy as I am with the final product, this was NOT an easy project. At first I thought the idea of an insert was genius, and then I realized the only fabric I had for the insert was a stretch jersey instead of muslin. Dumb. Then after all that cutting and sewing time, I filled the insert with my k-mart bought bean bag fill. Brilliant. Now to push that sucker into the outer cover...NOT happening. Empty some beans out. Shove in insert, fill back up and sew shut. That sucker is never EVER coming back out of that insert. So the whole, 'Oh I can just throw the cover in the wash when it gets dirty!' thing just ain't happenin'. Had I known that ahead of time I would have opted for a darker more versatile fabric. Oh well, fashion over function I guess.

So the next cushion was smaller, missing an insert and oh so easy to do. Lesson learned life, thanks. Total for both cushions was only $28, but an entire lost Saturday isn't worth the don't do as I did, BUT if you are crazycakes enough to try this on your own, skip the insert and just pour those foam beans in to your hearts content.

Monday, July 23, 2012

stylin' and profilin'

I'm a sucker for cute little dresses and adorable bebe shoes. Lucky for my budget, I don't buy anything not on clearance or at the consignment store...

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

rock on

Bebe's got a new pony. Best part is it's custom made with love from mama. Of course she can't ride it yet, but I'm hoping she'll love it once she can.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it from the consignment store for $12. Boring right? But I liked that it didn't have any gross yarn hair. So it got a good sanding to prep for paint.

I had to get creative with setting it up for painting, so a couple of saw horses {ironic yes?} and a tarp later, I was priming that bad boy. After primer, a couple of coats of white spraypaint.

The hardest part was definitely the stenciling. I printed a chevron print onto cardstock, using photoshop to get the size I wanted. Then I used an exacto knife to cut out the zig zags and held it onto the seat as I used a stamping foam brush to apply the color. It took some touching up after the fact and probably would have been better to create a pattern directly on the seat with painters tape, but that would have been just as time consuming.

The finished product however was well worth it and for just about $20 dollars, I think this boutique horse will have a happy life here in our home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...