Monday, March 18, 2013

IKEA hack: LATT table and chairs

SO I bought the 'LATT table and chairs' set for the bebe. I thought it would be nice to have somewhere for her to sit and play, or sit and eat, or sit and color. I reworked the set so now it can do all of that.


First, I had to stain everything {in a gray shade}, but you know IKEA likes to keep everything in pieces, so this made that process a little easier. Then I decided to FINally use a cute fabric I bought a while ago for seat covers. This was a simple mod podge and fabric process, took almost no time at all.


Next was the table top. I painted the original top with chalkboard paint, but it didn't take too well to having dried food wiped off it, and I wasn't exactly sure how safe eating off of a chalkboard is, so I bought a piece of plexiglass from Lowes to cover the paint. Now when she's eating I have a nice easy-to-clean {food-safe} surface and when she's ready to play, I can easily remove the plexiglass.


The table and chairs cost $19.99 for the set, and the plexi cost me around 8$. They cut the plexi for free, and I only had to sand down the corners with my Dremel to make it a perfect fit. The fabric was probably about $6 but I can't remember exactly. It probably took me about an hour - two to finish the entire thing AND she seems to like it. Makes a mama happy.


13 comments:

Andrea said...

this is really adorable. I love the idea of the plexiglass on top AND the fabric on the seats. I have a nice study wooden black table I bought at Toys R Us about 5 years ago. My boys still use it - to eat, play, arts & crafts, etc. And I use the chairs constantly for reaching things in my upper cabinets. It was the best purchase I ever made, and it perfect for entertaining families with kids (kids tables are fun to set and decorate for holidays). great job!

cheri said...

thank you Andrea!

embee said...

did you modge podge the fabric before or after assembly?

cheri said...

Before, and then used a rotary blade to trim the edges. No need to worry about neat edges though, since they get tucked inside the wood pieces...

Anonymous said...

What kind of stain did you use? Love the color?

tasha said...

I just did this table for my daughter what were your dimensions for the plexiglass?


Thanks!!!

Anna said...

I love this! I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my son's train table (chalkboard paint), but was worried about smudging--the plexiglass is a great idea!

Irene Liberatore said...

I'm curious about the dimensions as well. I apologize in advance if I'm missing the response to this question. Thank you!

hi said...

Looks awesome! What stain did you use?

hi said...

Super cute! What stain did you use?

Dining Room Table Sets said...

absolutely beautiful. thanks for posting them.
Dining Room Furniture Sets
Furniture Parker

davidmorison said...

Great post! I Love IKEA and This LATT table and chairs looks really beautiful

https://www.urbansales.co.nz/

Paul James said...

Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it.


https://www.urbansales.co.nz/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...