Saturday, March 16, 2013

Delicious Dishes: Baked vegetable penne

There's a recipe I had printed from Pinterest, but alas, it was way too involved for me, and included a massive list of ingredients. I decided to rework it, and it's so different from the original, that I will claim this as my own. I also made half a bag of penne, but it ended up being plenty for my husband and I with leftovers for lunch. In other words, this recipe will serve four, so double it if you're hosting a dinner party or you birthed a small army.

Baked Veggie Penne

Ingredients:
1 eggplant
1 yellow squash
1 zucchini
1 container sliced mushrooms
2 cups of penne {whole wheat is our pasta of choice}
5-6 slices of colby jack {can do shredded mozzarella if you prefer}
3/4 can of Newman's Own Sockarooni {this is very important for flavor and is by far the best spaghetti sauce we've tried}
1/4 cup parmesan
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450ยบ. Boil the water and cook your pasta as you normally would. Chop your vegetables into bite size pieces and place in a bowl. Toss with olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Cook the vegetables in a fry pan for about 5-8 minutes. Mix the cooked drained pasta and cooked vegetables in a casserole pan. Cover with the sauce and the slices of cheese. Top with the parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes.

Here's what it looked like going into the oven:


Here's what it looked like coming out:


It's not necessarily pretty or gourmet, but it is delicious!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...